We’re here!

We touched down in Maui just after sunset at around 7:30pm on May 26.

A wide angle lens is an absolute must when traveling. The Canon 16-35/2.8L stayed on my 5D 80% of the time, and I still wanted wider (anyone have a spare 14mm?). The other 20% was the 50mm and 70-200mm. On a Rebel or 40D (often referred to as APS-C format), the only super-wide lens is the EF-S 10-22mm which I hear is great, but it won’t work on a 1D/s or 5D because it’s specifically designed for the smaller APS-C sensor. To get the runny white water look you need to use a slow shutter speed (I used 1/8 second for this one). It’s best to do this with a tripod and a remote release–it took me a few tries to get this one steady while balancing the camera on my knees while crouching on some slippery wet rocks. It was fun at first until I thought my camera isn’t waterproof or rockproof and we just arrived on the island…

View from the room’s balcony. Are Hawaiian sunsets always this beautiful?

Conked out